Friday, June 17, 2011

Ahoj!

Finished my last class today. My Czech language teacher and photography teacher told us that we're all getting A's, so that's awesome. I'm going to miss my teachers, they were pretty interesting people. My Czech Culture teacher was the biggest hippie I've ever met. She was awesome. My Photography teacher was the sweetest man ever. The only thing was he had a monotone voice and showed us countless pictures in a dark room and I'd occasionally fall asleep. One time I fell asleep and woke up and my friend kind of laughed at me and he's like it's ok, I was young one time and fell asleep in classes, it happens. What teacher says it's ok with students falling asleep in class?! It made me even feel worse about it because he was so sweet about it!

I went on a boat cruise yesterday as kind of a last hurrah for session 1 students. It was so pretty! The boat trip on the river was really relaxing and fun. They served us Budweiser, which I guess is from Prague, but it's not the same as the Budweiser in the US. I guess there's a whole story behind it but I don't really know it. They served us food on the boat too. They had latkes! I refuse to call them potato pancakes because they are not, they are latkes. They seem to have latkes everywhere in Prague. Also Lox is a big thing over here. They served a ton of lox sandwiches in Amsterdam too, more than Prague. But they put it on bread, not on bagels, they're doing it wrong.

The other night I went out to the 5 story club. It's supposedly the biggest discotheque in Europe. It's a huge tourist attraction, you wont find any Czech people there, just a ton of other people from around the world. It's weird how everyone dances differently depending on where they're from. German guys don't really dance with you, they dance by you. Some of my friends went to Berlin and went to some clubs and they said everyone was dancing at arms lengths apart. One of the guys I knew that went there started dancing with a girl from our trip and someone was like you can't do that. I guess that's just their thing. A lot of people from other places twirl you around. A lot of European guys are very aggressive, bold, and relentless. They come up to you telling you your beautiful and cute, which I love to hear, but they can be a little too aggressive. I went to the 5 story club one night with 2 other girls and the guys there were just non stop. We couldn't get a minute to ourselves without a guy coming up and asking where we were from. We'd tell them we weren't interested and 5 mins later they'd try again. It was bad! But the next night we went there it wasn't like that at all. Maybe it was just a weird night. It makes you appreciate American guys, because you know how they dance and they're not so aggressive.

One night my friend started dancing with a German guy so I started talking to his friend. He was sooo funny! I ended up talking to him the rest of the night. Usually humor doesn't always translate too easily between cultures and languages but he was so sarcastic. He asked me if I spoke any German and I said no and he asked me what languages I did speak. I told him I knew a little bit of French from high school and that I'm learning Czech right now. He was like why did you learn French?! Americans hate the French, the French hate the Americans, the Germans hate the French and the French hates the Germans. I went to Paris and asked a local a question and he's like Fuck you!! After the German guy, Dennis, said that, anytime I caught him in a lie he'd be like, I swear on the French language I am not lieing. We also talked about TV shows. He likes How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory! Which is so cool! He loves Sheldon from Big Bang Theory. He also likes the late night show with Craig Ferguson. He thinks he's hilarious and loves his Scottish accent. I didn't realize how much people here watch American TV shows and listen to our music. Everywhere I go they play American songs. I don't really hear any Czech songs anywhere. They also love American music from the 80s and 90s. They have a lot of 80s and 90s nights at clubs. They know most of the words to the songs too!

I'm leaving for my 5 day trip to Vienna, Budapest, and Bratislava tomorrow. I'm really excited!! It sounds amazing!! I'm really looking forward to the hot spring spas in Budapest. They look and sound amazing. I'm also looking forward to seeing Ini and Pezi in Vienna!!!! They're our family's past exchange students. I haven't seen them for about five years! It's too bad I'll only be able to see them for a little bit.

I know this Sunday is Father's Day and I'm sad I wont be home with my family to celebrate it. But I just wanted to say Happy Father's Day to my Dad, Grandpa Bob, Grandpa Morris, Uncle Jay, and Uncle Mark and to any other father's that read this!

I attached a video about Prague one of the students made for class. He did an amazing job and he made the music that goes along with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment